Woooow, what a day!!!!
The first round of the Stadium Drift Pro Tour went off with a bang on the weekend with a host of new cars and drivers making the journey to Queensland Raceway.
It was the first event for myself and the Performance Suspension XYZ s13 drift car and from the outset we knew it would be a testing day, but what I didn’t realize is how much fun it would be. Sure we didn’t win, nor probably win any battles, but I was impressed with how much potential the car has.
From the first practice run I knew that the s13 was on struggle street in the HP department, with the car, more or less, being unable to hold a 3rd gear slide…. It took a bit to get the hang of but by the end of the day, I succumbed to the fact that I would be stuck in 2nd for the majority of the run (>_<)
Never mind that, I was having an absolute ball. The car was getting some crazy lock and the XYZ brakes, well I can’t speak highly enough of them. I have never driven a car with so much stopping power. I think I will need a set of these on my s14 A.S.A.P.
Big thank you goes out to Chris’s father, David Jones from Performance Suspension for providing the car and assistance on the day… Unfortunately we will be unable to make the next Stanthorpe and Wakefield Rounds, but the car will be back out for the second Stanthorpe round in July.. In the meantime we will more than likely be entering the Archerfield Drift and short track series…
Also check out my Contour page for speed readings:
What a better way to test a car then in a competition /(~_~)\
This weekend I will be driving the Performance Suspension XZY drift car at Round 1 of the Stadium Drift drift series at Queensland Raceway..
With the car untested on a big track and struggling in the hp department I am predicting an weekend full of lol’s and backwards entries.. wooot hooot.
Well after putting in some serious hours on the XYZ S13 Drift Car, the time finally came to test it.
Being the initial test pilot, I didn’t really know what to expect. It was my first time sliding an s13, my first time driving an RB, and the first time in over 12 months at Archerfield (our test track of choice) so things could really have gone either way. Chris’s experimental steering setup was something I wasn’t too sure about either.
Well apart from the niggling airflow meter issue at the start, the s13 actually went very well. It wasn’t as snappy as my s14, but I did find it a lot easier to found to slide, with the only real drama was me getting use the RB torque.
I was actually having so much fun that I forgot (yes forgot is the word) to head back into the pits to let Chris have another drive. Opppppsss.
So I am going out on a limb with calling the chassis sorted.
The XYZ s13 drift car is coming along nicely, but unfortunately not fast enough.
The aim was to have the car ready in a basic form for the first meet of 2012 at Archerfield last Sunday, but right now, just getting the car rolling again would be a huge achievement.
Low was this weekends task with the rear sub frame being removed, solid mounted and raised with camber, toe and traction arms installed.
Chris was also counting front LCA’s in his sleep and wanted to rework the basic “extended” design by adding, what I guess I could describe as a raised section at the pillow ball. Apparently this should make life awesome.
I went nuts with my guard roller so hopefully, this weekend the car will be rolling around again.
Well here it is… the hunk of junk that is to become a butterfly.
Every project has to start somewhere and what better place to start than an S13 Silvia. Cheap, easy and an endless supply of parts made the choice easy for Chris from Performance Suspension on the Gold Coast.
Chris’s plan of attack is to make the s13 a fun drift car that can dabble in the odd sprint day, all the while not spending a shit load of money on faggoty street cred mods.
1. It must be low
2. It must have insane lock
3. It must, above all other thing, be fun.
Making the car low was the easy part with a set of custom XZY coil overs and a host of adjustable arms.
Crazy angle on the other hand required some in house fabrication by modifying the factory knuckles to similar design to as my s14′s 326 power (aggressive) knuckles. I have used these for drift and sprint days and I am massive fan of their design. The one problem with my s14 however is clearance (>_<)
To over come this with the s13 it’s LCAs have been extended my 25mm and 8.5 inch wheels are to be used up front. PBM offset rack spacers, tie rod rack end spacers, adjustable tie-rod ends and adjustable castor arms will finish steering off. For now.